Asking and giving advice
π PERTEMUAN 1 — “HELLO, WHO’S CALLING?”
Materi: Telephone Expressions
A. Opening a Telephone Call
Ungkapan untuk membuka percakapan telepon:
Hello!
Hi, this is Rina speaking.
Hello, this is Andi.
Good morning, this is Dika speaking.
May I speak to Sinta, please?
Can I speak to Budi, please?
B. Asking Who Is Calling
Who’s calling, please?
Who is speaking?
May I know who’s calling?
C. Asking Someone to Wait
Please hold on.
Please wait a moment.
Just a moment, please.
Hold on, please.
D. Saying Someone Is Not Available
She’s not here right now.
He’s not available at the moment.
She’s away at the moment.
E. Taking a Message
Can I take a message?
Would you like to leave a message?
Can I give her a message?
F. Closing a Telephone Call
Thanks for calling.
Talk to you later.
See you soon.
Take care.
Goodbye.
Bye!
Contoh Dialog
A: Hello, this is Raka speaking.
B: Hi, Raka. This is Dimas.
A: Hi, Dimas. How are you?
B: I'm good, thanks. Can I speak to Andi?
A: Sure. Please hold on.
B: Okay, thank you.
A: You're welcome.
π― Language Focus
This is + name + speaking.
This is Sinta speaking.
This is Budi speaking.
π¬ PERTEMUAN 2 — “I NEED YOUR ADVICE!”
Materi: Asking for Advice
A. Vocabulary: Problems
| English | Indonesian |
|---|---|
| problem | masalah |
| advice | nasihat |
| homework | pekerjaan rumah |
| exam | ujian |
| assignment | tugas |
| friendship | pertemanan |
| stress | stres |
| tired | lelah |
| confused | bingung |
| worried | khawatir |
| difficult | sulit |
| late | terlambat |
B. Expressions for Asking Advice
Basic expressions:
What should I do?
What can I do?
What do you think I should do?
What would you suggest?
Do you have any advice?
Can you give me some advice?
What do you suggest?
C. Stating a Problem
I have a problem.
I have a problem with my homework.
I'm having trouble with English.
I'm worried about my exam.
I don't know what to do.
I'm confused about my assignment.
Contoh Dialog
A: Hi, can I talk to you?
B: Sure. What's the problem?
A: I'm having trouble with my English homework. What should I do?
B: Hmm... Let me think.
π― Language Pattern
I'm having trouble with + noun.
I'm having trouble with my homework.
I'm having trouble with English.
I'm worried about + noun.
I'm worried about my exam.
π‘ PERTEMUAN 3 — “WHAT SHOULD I DO?”
Materi: Giving Advice
A. Using “Should”
Should + Verb 1
You should study harder.
You should talk to your teacher.
You should get enough sleep.
Negative
Shouldn't + Verb 1
You shouldn't sleep too late.
You shouldn't skip breakfast.
You shouldn't give up.
B. Using “Ought to”
Ought to + Verb 1
You ought to study regularly.
You ought to talk to your parents.
C. Using “Had Better”
Had better + Verb 1
You had better study tonight.
You had better arrive early.
Negative
You had better not be late.
D. Other Expressions
Why don't you...?
Why don't you ask your teacher?
How about...?
How about studying with your friends?
If I were you...
If I were you, I would practice every day.
You could...
You could join an English club.
Contoh Dialog
A: I'm always tired at school. What should I do?
B: You should sleep earlier.
A: Anything else?
B: You should also eat breakfast.
A: That's a good idea. Thanks!
π― Formula
Problem → Advice
I have too much homework.
→ You should make a study schedule.
I'm always late.
→ You should wake up earlier.
π PERTEMUAN 4 — “ADVICE HOTLINE!”
Materi: Responding to Advice
Pada pertemuan ini siswa menggabungkan telephone expressions + asking advice + giving advice + responding.
A. Accepting Advice
That's a good idea.
That sounds great.
You're right.
I think you're right.
I'll try that.
I'll do that.
Thanks for your advice.
That's helpful.
B. Politely Rejecting Advice
I'm not sure about that.
I'm afraid I can't do that.
That's a good idea, but...
I don't think I can.
Maybe I'll try something else.
C. Asking for More Advice
What else should I do?
Do you have any other suggestions?
Is there anything else I can do?
Contoh Dialog Lengkap
A: Hello, this is Fajar speaking.
B: Hi, Fajar. This is Riko. What's wrong?
A: I'm worried about my English test. What should I do?
B: You should practice every day.
A: That's a good idea. What else should I do?
B: You could study with a friend.
A: Great! I'll try that. Thanks for your advice.
B: You're welcome. Good luck!
A: Thanks. Bye!
B: Bye!
π― Struktur Percakapan
Opening
↓
Asking about problem
↓
Stating problem
↓
Asking for advice
↓
Giving advice
↓
Responding to advice
↓
Closing
✍️ PERTEMUAN 5 — “CREATE YOUR ADVICE CALL!”
Materi: Creating a Telephone Dialogue
Pada pertemuan ini siswa belajar membuat dialog sendiri.
A. Choosing a Problem
Pilih salah satu:
School Problems
I have too much homework.
I don't understand English.
I'm nervous about my exam.
I'm always late for school.
Friendship Problems
I have an argument with my friend.
My friend doesn't talk to me.
I don't know how to make new friends.
Daily Life
I sleep too late.
I spend too much time on my phone.
I don't have enough time to study.
Future/Career
I don't know what career to choose.
I'm confused about my future.
I don't know which extracurricular activity to join.
B. Dialogue Template
Opening
A: Hello, this is ______ speaking.
B: Hi, ______. This is ______.
Asking About the Problem
B: What's wrong?
B: What's the problem?
Stating the Problem
A: I'm having trouble with ______.
A: I'm worried about ______.
A: I don't know what to do about ______.
Asking for Advice
A: What should I do?
A: What do you suggest?
Giving Advice
B: You should ______.
B: You shouldn't ______.
B: Why don't you ______?
B: You could ______.
Responding
A: That's a good idea.
A: I'll try that.
A: Thanks for your advice.
Closing
B: You're welcome.
A: Bye!
B: Take care!
π PERTEMUAN 6 — “ADVICE CALL SHOW!”
Materi: Telephone Role-Play Performance
Pertemuan keenam berfokus pada penggunaan seluruh materi dalam penampilan.
A. Review Expressions
π Telephone
Hello, this is ... speaking.
May I speak to ...?
Who's calling, please?
Please hold on.
Thanks for calling.
π¬ Asking for Advice
What's the problem?
What should I do?
What do you suggest?
Can you give me some advice?
π‘ Giving Advice
You should...
You shouldn't...
You could...
Why don't you...?
How about...?
If I were you, I would...
π Responding
That's a good idea.
I'll try that.
You're right.
Thanks for your advice.
π Closing
You're welcome.
Take care.
Talk to you later.
Bye!
π¬ TUGAS AKHIR: “ADVICE CALL SHOW”
Instruksi
Work in pairs. Create and perform a telephone conversation about a problem.
Dialog harus memiliki:
✅ Opening
✅ Problem
✅ Asking for advice
✅ Giving at least 2 pieces of advice
✅ Responding to advice
✅ Closing
Durasi: 3–5 menit.
Contoh Tema
π School Problem
π₯ Friendship Problem
⏰ Time Management
π± Social Media
π Homework
π Exam
⚽ Extracurricular
πΌ Future Career
Tantangan Tambahan ⭐
Agar lebih menarik, guru dapat memberikan “Mystery Problem Cards”. Siswa mengambil kartu secara acak dan harus memasukkan masalah tersebut ke dalam percakapan.
Contoh kartu:
You always sleep late and feel tired at school. Ask your friend for advice.
atau:
You have too much homework and don't know how to manage your time. Call your friend and ask for advice.
Dengan begitu, siswa tidak hanya menghafalkan dialog, tetapi belajar berbicara spontan, merespons situasi, dan menggunakan bahasa Inggris secara nyata.
Comments
Post a Comment